Bachelor of Science (Honours) in Actuarial Studies and Insurance programme (the Programme) is designed to train professionals which are of keen demand by the insurance industry. The insurance industry in Hong Kong is experiencing a rapid growth and in need of a continuous supply of talents. The education on insurance professions cannot catch up with the fast development of the local economy. There is a lack of opportunities for young people to understand the career path of various insurance specialities. As a result, the newcomers fall short in meeting the strong demand of human resources in the market. Our goal is to offer a platform to connect the students and the industry. The Programme provides professional training on actuarial studies and insurance practice to students, helps them prepare for their future career; meanwhile, brings in new blood to the industry and fulfill the market needs.
Programme Objectives (POs)
The Programme Objectives (POs) are to:
- develop students’ critical thinking, analytical ability and problem-solving skills, especially in a business environment;
- cultivate students’ interpersonal skills to communicate with business partners as well as to take a leadership role in a team;
- instil in students a strong sense of social responsibility and professionalism, and high level of commitment to business ethics;
- enhance students’ awareness and sensitivity to the global environment and local circumstances;
- equip students with professional knowledge in insurance industry such as product design and management;
- provide students with foundation of the conceptual, theoretical and practical knowledge in actuarial studies, supplemented with business administration skills; and
- develop students’ ability to make informed recommendations and decisions in a business context.
Programme Intended Learning Outcomes (PILOs)
Upon completion of the programme, students should be able to:
- address professional challenges in a business environment through the application of inter-disciplinary and multi- disciplinary knowledge acquired;
- possess effective communication skills in a business environment and demonstrate leadership characteristics;
- evaluate own contributions and responsibilities to the society, profession and business partners;
- demonstrate the ability to analyse cultural, social, political, and economic issues from local and global perspectives;
- understand the roles of insurance professionals and the characteristics of different insurance products;
- possess the conceptual and practical knowledge and skills in actuarial studies as well as in business administration; and
- apply the knowledge of insurance industry and financial concepts for solving problems.
Hong Kong Council for Accreditation of Academic and Vocational Qualifications (HKCAAVQ) Qualifications Register
|Qualification Framework:||Level 5|
|Primary Area of Study / Training:||Sciences, Mathematics and Statistics|
|Other Area of Study / Training:||Business & Management, Insurance|
Minimum Admission Requirements
Please visit Registry for admission details.